Have you ever been
in a position where you feel strongly
about something, but when put on the spot have a hard time defending your
position? Of course you have.
Take Penguins for
example. They are magnificent birds that captivated my imagination when I was a
boy of 9. I was recently asked: "what is so awesome about a penguin?"
I wanted to leap from my chair, march over and tell them EXACTLY what was so
awesome about the bird. One problem...I
didn't know where to begin.
Do I start with the
story about why I came to enjoy the penguin? Do I go into the evolutionary theory of what makes them so different than any other bird on Earth, or should
I go into differences in dive physiology between penguins, marine mammals and
fish?
I have reasons to
appreciate and respect the little black and white bird, some are empirical,
others are emotional. Separating the two can be difficult, and that isn't a bad
thing.
My friend, that
asked, was taking her daughter to the zoo.
Her advice… "You are talking about penguins. Don't put so much
pressure on yourself…" Fair enough.
We are taught to
lead with data and let it guide our decisions. I think, if you truly believe in
what you are doing, and in yourself, you should lead with your gut and then
provide the appropriate support.
Next time you go to
the zoo, stop by the penguin exhibit. They are always crowded, usually have a
wait, and the viewers are always pointing and chattering. We don’t have to
understand why we like them or understand how the bird does 'its thing' - we just do (and it doesn't mean
the evidence isn't there).

Image courtesy of True Wildlife Blog
No comments:
Post a Comment