…I am a scientist, I’m trained to be hyper analytical, I’m
trained to write a certain way, to select words for maximum impact, and to be
precise & concise.
… the mass public has been trained by the media to ignore
the conventions of the English language, to discount poor spelling and
grammatical errors, and to accept typographical missteps.
…news outlets know that to be heard and to be read, they
must write and cover stories that grab attention, often at the sake of poor
reporting, promoting poor behavior, highlighting the worst in humanity or
covering case studies in which the first gut reaction is “ARE YOU [expletive]
KIDDING ME?”
…the public doesn’t believe it unless a well-funded
laboratory runs experiments, analyzes data, and then publishes a report. If it
doesn’t exist in science it cannot be true. This phenomenon is the polar
opposite of religious fervor – it is scientific fanaticism.
…both political parties love to latch on to science, politicize it
and therefore fleece it of any real meaning or humanitarian gain possible.
…real science is rarely sexy. Thus why many scientists are
turned off to science fiction, we see the inaccuracy of details and it often
destroys the story. Michael Crichton
has an essay
on this and the above topic on his official site.
Here are some of my recent inspirations:
(NOTE: I have no problem with the results of the following; merely
that someone funded a study to investigate concepts that otherwise are ‘no-brainers’
to the point that publishing data on them is simply dizzying, verging on
idiotic.)
Smoking
After Diagnosis Increases Cancer Deaths – So what you mean to tell me is
that if I am a smoker, and I am diagnosed with lung cancer, I should stop
smoking? Well, ‘its my life, I do what I want.’
How
walking to work could reduce your risk of diabetes (up to 40%) – Wait a
minute. You mean that if I get out and walk, that is exercise as a mode of
transportation, I will be healthier? Yes, someone paid a group of researchers
to statistically analyze the health gap (diabetes and hypertension) between
walkers and drivers. What they fail to publish is that walkers are at a greater
chance of becoming a pedestrian struck by a moving vehicle than when driving.
Here is a story where someone was paid to debunk 4
dumb experiments. Though I like the intent of this article, it falls far
short of hitting its potential. The author points out the fallacies behind
these investigations, but doesn’t do it in “plain English.”
THE SOLUTION: I have no clue…Education? Reinforcing higher
standards for which to hold the public and the media? Using our brains? A
little common sense?
No comments:
Post a Comment